About Me

My photo
I am a recently retired high school educator who is learning to spend time doing what I want to do. This is a new challenge in its own sense. It's like walking into a buffet and knowing you can eat all you want and not get full or gain any weight and for once you have absolutely no idea what you want. But I look forward to the journey of figuring it out.

Sunday, August 4, 2019

The Dog Days of Summer

The saying, the dog days of summer came from a Greek star patterns, who knew.  I always thought that it meant the days were so hot that you wanted to lie around in a puddle like a tired dog.  For me, the dog days of summer is quite a literal thing.  I have happily spent my entire summer with a special little dog.  Her name is Sydney.
Sydney has been a project in motion since last October, when I first began to even consider the idea of adopting another dog into our family.  I had not yet healed from the loss of my dear 4 year old pet, but was beginning to think about the possibility that I had enough heart back to want to take another dog into my home.  Then the thought that perhaps a furry little friend might eventually make it into my classroom at a local high school continued to grow in my mind.  I decided to broach the subject with my principal during the October teacher conferences.  He was optimistic about the possibility. On April 15th, Sydney was born and she become officially part of our family June 22.  

So, my summer has been raising a puppy.  We've got an awful long way with much training and learning to happen before she will ever be ready to go to school, but along the way, Sydney is teaching me so much, maybe even more than I am teaching her.  Okay, probably much more than I am teaching her.  Let's face it, my main goal the last 6 weeks has been to keep her from going potty and pooping in the house. I can confidently say we are at about a 80-90% success rate.  She's 4 months now so it's doable.

However her list of what she has taught me is so much longer.  

1. The joy of seeing young children love on a puppy is one of the best things in the world. 

Dogs give unconditional love, and so do kids.
  
Watching the joy of our neighbor's girls when we brought her home and everyday that they play with her is one of the best things that has ever happened to me.  

2. It's important to take time out everyday and just look at the world around you.  There are many wonders in your home and yard.  Birds, pesky squirrels, small toads, and even just the grass is amazing when you spend time contemplating its purpose and creation.
3. Make friends even when people (or the family cat) are resistant to your attention. Building relationships is vital to survival.  



4. Play, and then play, and perhaps play some more.  Play with things, play with friends, just take time everyday to play.

5. Learning can be tough but don't stop learning.  It's important to continue to hone your skills.
Sometimes it is easy to focus and sometimes you just don't want to listen, but do it anyway.

6. Finally, when you are tired... nap.  Rest. Rejuvenate.  You will be better for it and this also helps you grow as you become fresh for new adventures in the world.


It's my true hope and desire that Sydney can learn all the things she needs to so that she may come to be in my classroom and comfort so many as they work through their days, beginning August of 2020, but if she only helps me enjoy life then I will be eternally in her debt. 


1 comment:

  1. I bet she will become a very good classroom dog! Only problem is that the kids may argue about who gets her attention!!! She is sooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete