About Me

My photo
I am a recently retired high school educator who is learning to spend time doing what I want to do. This is a new challenge in its own sense. It's like walking into a buffet and knowing you can eat all you want and not get full or gain any weight and for once you have absolutely no idea what you want. But I look forward to the journey of figuring it out.

Sunday, April 19, 2020

Being Known

God always knows what I need, when I need it, down to the nth detail.  This true and simple assurance never ceases to amaze me.  Yesterday,  in the middle of the day of blahs in my heart, a new launch team notice came from Waterbrook & Multnomah, a new galley to review.  I have read most of my books in print, so getting a notice that there was a digital copy available since printing and mailing at this time in the pandemic is difficult, was a happy surprise. 
Well, because of this wonderful treat, nothing got done for the rest of the weekend because I have done nothing but immerse myself in Robin Jones Gunn's newest novel, Being Known. 
I received Being Known from Waterbrook & Multnomah Publishing as a part of their launch team for an honest review. 
Gunn's book fills a hole in my heart that has been deepening since the beginning of this pandemic distancing and stay-at-home time.  One of the things I have been missing the most is the ability to be with and around my girlfriends, getting and giving hugs and enjoying the sisterhood of companionship that all women need.  Being Known tells the story of a group of women living regular day to day lives and trusting in God and his goodness to sustain them through their relationship with Him and each other.  The problems that the women face are common to all wives, mothers, and girlfriends.  Seeing how the characters work through them and come forth stronger is heartwarming, a bit of sunshine during these days of unrest.
I love Gunn's writing style and the gift of making her characters and the dialogue feel as though you know them personally, that they have left the page and become part of your close circle of friends.  I want to read more of her books, and delight in her plots and characters more often, now that I have found her. 
I can't say enough good things about Gunn's new book, Being Known.  It's a literary hug from a new friend that will endure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment