About Me

My photo
I am a recently retired high school educator who is learning to spend time doing what I want to do. This is a new challenge in its own sense. It's like walking into a buffet and knowing you can eat all you want and not get full or gain any weight and for once you have absolutely no idea what you want. But I look forward to the journey of figuring it out.

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Thy will be done...very scary words indeed

Four of the scariest words in the English language (if you are a Christian and completely understand what these words mean) are "Thy will be done."  I try to always pray this in any situation I am faced with, I ask for God's will for me, and I must tell you, it is a scary prayer to pray.  So often I want what I want, and praying for His will is humbling.

Just recently I was faced with an incident that disheartened and discouraged me.  My gut, human reaction was to be frustrated, angry, and hurt.  I was in a situation where I couldn't show any emotion, (being an adult is often this way) so I pushed the feeling down and "adulted" my way to the end of the day when I could properly process them. What I discovered later was that of course, I can't change anything on my own so I "simply"(okay, so it's never really simple, a bit of sarcasm slipped out) prayed for God's will to be done in my life.

My situation is not life threatening.  It hurts but I won't be financially strapped. However, I began to think about all who daily pray for God's will in their life, and the faith and humility it takes to do so.  The parent of a seriously ill child is one example.  Trusting God's will for the healing of the beloved child, knowing that His will very well  may be that their child is ultimately healed by going to heaven is a truly frightening situation. A homeless individual, asking for God's will when they have no idea of where the next meal or bed will be, is faith as an action verb.

Praying for God's will in any loved ones' turmoils takes absolute faith. The one praying must relinquish all claim and control and allow their life to be purely in God's hands.  I happen to believe that our lives are anyway, but giving up the pretense of control is difficult. 

Every time I attend church, my congregation recites the Lord's Prayer. I say "recites", because sometimes I wonder how many are actually concentrating on the words being said.  The prayer begins:

Our Father, who art in heaven
Hallowed be Thy name.
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done...

Right there, In the fourth line we are asking for God's will and giving ourselves entirely into His hands. A very safe place to be, but perhaps a test of giving up control which is a very human trait.

Though the words and the actions of placing oneself entirely in God's control, asking for His will and being content in the waiting are scary, in the end following His will is the safest and most comforting place to be.  You're welcome to join me, anytime.


No comments:

Post a Comment