About Me

My photo
I am a recently retired high school educator who is learning to spend time doing what I want to do. This is a new challenge in its own sense. It's like walking into a buffet and knowing you can eat all you want and not get full or gain any weight and for once you have absolutely no idea what you want. But I look forward to the journey of figuring it out.

Thursday, December 15, 2016

What my students don't know...

The school fall semester is quickly coming to an end as the Christmas break approaches.  Students are preparing for first term final exams.  Some are embracing the challenge to continue studying, in a quest to improve their grades and finish strong.  Others are not.  Many of my students are among the latter category. I tutor many students in various subjects throughout the day, working with ones that struggle to excel in their school work.

Last night at church I was overcome with emotion as I prayed for my students.  Both the ones at school and the younger ones in my church class. The thought struck me that my students do not realize their impact on my life.

What my students don't know...
I pray for you:
I am aware that I have only so much influence in guiding you in your work, but I have faith that God will lead you in all the ways that I cannot.


When I leave work I don't leave you here: 
I take my concern for you with me wherever I go. Day and night you are on my mind and I am constantly thinking of alternate ways to teach you to help you understand the material more fully. You keep me up many nights.
I want great things for you:
I see your potential and know you are capable of any endeavor you attempt, if you truly put in the hard work to achieve the goal.   

I work twice as hard to try to make things better for you:
Before I attempt to teach material to you, I study it myself.  Then I study the material again with you. Especially when it is a new concept to me.
When I see you give up on yourself, I cry:
I know you can do the work so when you don't try my heart hurts. I know learning about assignments and projects can be overwhelming. Sometimes just beginning the work can seem like a vast hill to climb.  But starting the process is the first step and if you never start, you can not succeed.  Trust me that you have the ability, don't give up on yourself, I won't.
Sometimes the work does not seem relevant:
Yes the work is hard and you may not directly use the information you learned from passing your class. You may never discuss Thoreau's "Walden," again, or be asked to convert an equation from point-slope form to slope intercept  form in your adult everyday life. However, learning to work hard you will use always.

When you fail, I feel like I fail too:
Because you are important to me, I revel in your successes.  I also feel sadness for your failures.   You matter.
When you are rude to me and others:
My feelings get hurt, but I can't show you that. I must always model the adult way to treat others.

Finally, 
So many ask me if what I do is worth it and I say...yes you are

No comments:

Post a Comment