About Me

My photo
I am a recently retired high school educator who is learning to spend time doing what I want to do. This is a new challenge in its own sense. It's like walking into a buffet and knowing you can eat all you want and not get full or gain any weight and for once you have absolutely no idea what you want. But I look forward to the journey of figuring it out.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Positivity: Sometimes You've Gotta Stack the Deck

     Spring is around the corner, we are being teased by the proximity of it everyday, but spring's not here yet and that can make this time of year the toughest on keeping a positive outlook.  The  beginning of winter is filled with holiday and family, but mid to late winter is when the "going gets tough..." All the cliques flood my mind at this time of year. One that particularly nags me is,  "Don't sweat the small stuff, and - it's all small stuff," This quote from Dr. Richard Carlson's well known book tells us to just let it go and move on, but sometimes that is not as easy as it sounds.  
     When one is flirting with spring days in February, yet knows that a winter storm could reappear at anytime, and summer is still a season away, the days seem to lengthen and negativity can creep on in.  Now, add in the Lenten season.  This is a time for reflection and self examination of all the sins we are held accountable for and the sacrifice made for our transgressions.  When all these things are put together,  it tends to add up to a battle with keeping  a positive attitude and outlook.  So when life seems to gang up on the psyche, then... cheat and stack the deck.
     How do you cheat a negative attitude? Simple, find ways to motivate yourself and remind  yourself that life isn't so bad, in fact, it's amazingly awesome.  I caught myself recently entering a valley of the doldrums, and decided it was time to find my happy again.       First, I dug through my jewelry box and pulled out a simple elastic bracelet that a friend gave me a few years ago.  On the bracelet is a metal bar that says, "positivity".  I put it on this morning as a reminder that I should choose my attitude and that choice should be a positive one.  Next to it, I put on my John 3:16 bracelet.  It is my lenten reminder that an unfathomable sacrifice was made on my behalf, Jesus died for me, so I'd better put on my big girl panties and put a smile on this face, no matter my feelings, things just aren't that bad.  
     Second, go outside and get some air.  Granted, March winds may be gathering force to blow a bit of a "bitey" breeze in your face, but do it anyway.  Instead of feeling the cold, feel the exhilaration of renewal on the cusp of Spring.
     Next, challenge yourself to try something new.  If your work day seems stagnant, think about what you do each day and devise a plan to improve.  Maybe you can hone a skill you already have, but could increase your productivity in that area.  Perhaps, you might find a way to connect with a co-worker, or begin to study an area to add to your skill set.  Boredom is a choice, and continued learning is one also.  
     Finally, make some plans.  Doesn't really matter what the plans are, just dream a little.  Maybe plan a nice meal for a spouse or partner. Look online to find a new recipe or menu and go outside your comfort zone.  Plan a vacation, even if it is one you'd have to save a long time  to afford.  Find the lodging, the restaurants, tourist attractions, souvenirs you will want to buy, just make it a virtual vacation for the mind, heck, even make your daily itinerary.  Even if it doesn't come to fruition, the activity will brighten your mood for the time being.  
     The act of feeling positive truly is a choice one has to make each and everyday.  Getting sucked into a cycle of negativity is easy, getting back out is necessary. Cheat the feeling by stacking your deck and you will come out a winner.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment