About Me

My photo
I am a recently retired high school educator who is learning to spend time doing what I want to do. This is a new challenge in its own sense. It's like walking into a buffet and knowing you can eat all you want and not get full or gain any weight and for once you have absolutely no idea what you want. But I look forward to the journey of figuring it out.

Friday, February 27, 2015

Lighten Up, Y'all: Classic Southern Recipes Made Healthy and Wholesome

One of my great passions is cooking. A second is visiting the Southern United States.  I have made many trips to the southeastern states and my true love is eating my way from state to state.  Southern cooking has an amazing array of flavors and ingredients that make it a true foodie comfort cuisine bonanza.
As much as I love the food of the south, my waistline has suffered because of this love affair.  Now there is a solution to my problem in the form of a cookbook.  Author, Virginia Willis has outdone herself with her cookbook “Lighten up, Y’all; Classic Southern Recipes made Healthy and Wholesome.”
Willis has taken traditional southern comfort food recipes and remade them with healthier ingredients.  Yet, she has not sacrificed the essence or flavors of the dishes. 

One favorite of mine is her recipe for baked broccoli macaroni and cheese.  There is nothing like creamy pasta to comfort the soul. Lighter fat cheeses and whole-wheat noodles make this dish a healthier choice without sacrificing the taste.  Another recipe of Willis’s that I enjoyed was the Peach Basil Chicken.  The entrĂ©e is such a sweet and savory dish, and an innovative way to enjoy chicken.  I am excited to try all the recipes in Willis’s book and heartily recommend it to anyone who enjoys the foods of the South and the comfort obtained from their wholesome hospitality. I received my wonderful copy of "Lighten up Ya'll" from Blogging for Books.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment