About Me

My photo
I am a recently retired high school educator who is learning to spend time doing what I want to do. This is a new challenge in its own sense. It's like walking into a buffet and knowing you can eat all you want and not get full or gain any weight and for once you have absolutely no idea what you want. But I look forward to the journey of figuring it out.

Monday, September 1, 2014

Always Looking Down:

If you saw me out walking, alone or with my puppy, you would see me always looking down. A body behavior analyst might diagnose me as depressed or lonely.  This isn't the case.  On the contrary, I am generally a happy, positive person. So why do I always look down?

It began as a survival  technique. I owned no prescription sunglasses and I loved to walk outside in the sunshine.  It was easier to look down at the pavement than to look around.  It wasn't long until I found that looking down  focused my internal contemplations on my walks.  I could mull over problems or ideas when the only distraction was the moving pavement beneath my cross trainers.

Eventually, I found that looking down has other benefits as well.  You find many things while looking down;  you might just find pennies from heaven,  you may discover a little lizard darting in and out of the grass by the path or  even a snake that is meandering along the asphalt.  I can't count how many nails and  screws that I have picked up during the years I have looked down walking.  I always bring them home and place them in the trash, hoping that I saved a tire from deflating or an owner from a costly unexpected expense.

I do look up when hearing cars approach but then go right back to my routine.  Somehow, over time, I have discovered that I have found more than pennies, nails and critters as I look down. I have also found myself.  I look down the path that lies in front of me and I observe the little anomalies that  I come across.  I enjoy the small moments filled with found treasures. These may be a penny or dime on my path or a treasured hug and kiss from a loved one. I feel thanks for the dangers thwarted like a nail in a tire or  a distress call or need from family that can be solved or removed.  Finally, I revel in creation observed like a wee wooly caterpillar along the path or  a neighbor's child discovering a new skill.  

 I feel gratitude that years ago I did not have sunglasses and learned to look down as I walked.  Because life can be rich, even when you are looking down.

No comments:

Post a Comment