About Me

My photo
I am a recently retired high school educator who is learning to spend time doing what I want to do. This is a new challenge in its own sense. It's like walking into a buffet and knowing you can eat all you want and not get full or gain any weight and for once you have absolutely no idea what you want. But I look forward to the journey of figuring it out.

Monday, September 10, 2018

And God Sneezed....Gifts and Challenges.

A dear friend told me a story the other day about one of her acquaintances that just happens to be talented in everything that she does.  She is beautiful, athletic, kind, extremely intelligent, an amazing artist, and musician, the kind of person that it is easy to be jealous of in life. My friend said, "I really want to hate how perfect she is but I can't because she is just so darn nice!"  She went on to tell me her explanation for people like that....she said, God sneezed.

 In her theory, God sits with his hands full of  all the various talents (and challenges) that people can have.  He carefully sprinkles various gifts on each person as they are being formed, but sometimes he sneezes...ACHOO!... and blows all the talent onto one person.  "So sorry," He says, "they got it all, you must make do with this little bit leftover."

 I really enjoy her thoughts about this, it makes me smile to think of God handing out blessings and talents.  We are all given gifts that are unique to our personality yet we also know people who seem to have the lion share of abilities.  How can they have so much and we have little. Was it an accident or purposeful?

I think that no matter the amount we are given, it is important to cherish and use the talents and abilities to His glory. Everything God does and makes is perfect.  I feel the same way about the challenges that each of us have.  Each of us is given unique challenges to overcome.  Yet we can use these problems as opportunities to share love and acceptance with others.

In my case, God sneezed a boat load of anxiety on me when I was being created.  A little bit of anxiety is great, it helps one be prepared for the unknown.  The old flight or fight response, however  in overdrive it is a bit difficult.  Yet, in my case, I like to believe it has created grit.  As a child I feared everything.  Learning to deal with it has taught me empathy for other's challenges.  I try to use this with my family, church and the students I work with each year.

I have always been open with my family, my children, and often my students about the challenges I have been blessed with in my life. They make me who I am.  Letting people see our strengths and vulnerabilities makes both parties stronger on the journey together through life.

So, think today about this question, what did God sneeze on you?  Celebrate your uniqueness and share it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment