About Me

My photo
I am a recently retired high school educator who is learning to spend time doing what I want to do. This is a new challenge in its own sense. It's like walking into a buffet and knowing you can eat all you want and not get full or gain any weight and for once you have absolutely no idea what you want. But I look forward to the journey of figuring it out.

Friday, June 12, 2015

Summer Decadence

      I always tell my friends that I love every season, but honestly, summer I believe is my favorite.   For me, summer is pure decadence. I enjoy every part of the season for a multitude of reasons. The weather, the schedule, the wardrobe and the opportunity for simple contemplation make the season a time to savor.
     First of all, the weather during a Kansas summer is amazing.  Cool mornings and evening are coupled with warm to blazing hot days, the variety of temperatures create variety.  Just when you think you have the weather figured out it will change; is an old Kansas cliche that never fails to be true.  To accompany the temperatures one will find the magnificence of Kansas thunderstorms. I think of God's strength and power when I hear a raucous rumble of thunder or see spiderwebs of lightening streak across the sky.  I will concede that all of God's seasons have beauty within them, but for me, the summer days of warmth filled with bird song are perfectly delectable.
     Next, there is the schedule of summer.  I work in education for ten months of the year so summer is an opportunity for renewal. The staff and students all benefit from a break from each other and summer vacation provides the much needed distance.  Every educator knows that in whatever facet they work with students, be it cafeteria, bus driver, secretary, teacher, librarian, or custodian...being in the school system means one has a large family of children to care for, and every parent of a large family definitely needs respite care.  Loving the job doesn't mean distance isn't necessary for sanity's sake!
     Then, there is the summer wardrobe.  During the school year I live in business casual with jean Fridays as a treat.  Summer for me is gym shorts, exercise shirts and t-shirts, I am feeling "dressy" when I wear my white jean shorts.  Comfort is the main mode of operation in my wardrobe and I absolutely adore not dressing well. Flip flops or athletic shoes complete my ensemble which beings me to my final reason for taking such delight in summer; the opportunity for simple contemplation.
     During the summer, I relish lacing up my athletic shoes and taking long walks to bask in God's beauty and contemplate His purpose for me.  It feels like pure decadence to spend time conversing with Him while enjoying the beauty of the flowers along the walking paths, or feel the warmth of the sun shining on my face. Often, I listen to books on my iphone and think about the awe-inspiring gifts that God gave other writers and how the writers craft their stories.  Most of all, I ask God to let me know his will for me in my life and to give me the skill and courage to use the gifts he has given me to His glory.  Summer is pure decadence for me, simply because it is one of God's wonders!



No comments:

Post a Comment