About Me

My photo
I am a recently retired high school educator who is learning to spend time doing what I want to do. This is a new challenge in its own sense. It's like walking into a buffet and knowing you can eat all you want and not get full or gain any weight and for once you have absolutely no idea what you want. But I look forward to the journey of figuring it out.

Monday, September 21, 2026

10 Days of the Kansas State Fair!!! (Part 1)

 The last ten days for me have been fast, fun, and exhausting... and I am just crazy enough to do it all over again next year.  I worked the Kansas State Fair for the Ticket Sales division from September 11 through September 20, 2026.   I have done this in the past when I was assigned to a specific booth to sell tickets from 6:45 am until 4pm.  I thought that was tiring.  But this is the first time that I was hired to work for the ticketing office staff in the Kansas State Fair administration building, and our shifts run from 8am to 11pm. Yep, we are definitely CRAZY! 

When I work the state fair, I take a beginning picture and a last day of the fair photo, to see the effect it takes on me.  Here are this years pictures - 

Early in the week, Dillon's dollar day! Still feeling perky!

Showing my age right here. Not my most attractive look!   Very few hours of sleep at night can do that 😃

On top of the fourteen hour days, it was so hot this year. Like a furnace blowing across the fairgrounds with most days (except the last day) in the upper 90's. Yet the grueling schedule and days have so many moments in them that I have decided to write a three part set of posts to cover all my favorite things about this year's Kansas State Fair.  

Here goes, Part 1:

What was my actual job? Everything to do with ticket sales is the best way to describe it.  We provide help and support as well as the administrative needs of  ticketing at the fair.  We make certain all the ticket booths have the supplies they need. The tellers at the ticket booth windows have cash drawers of course, so we get cash from the bank and fill their boxes with the appropriate amount to do transactions.  We also receive the boxes after the gates close and we count their cash drawers for the bank. On top of this, we provide coverage for those unable to work a shift or needing lunch and bathroom breaks so that sales can continue throughout the entire time with no disruption in flow to get attendees into the fairgrounds.  Finally, we focus on getting patrons into the fair with as little time waiting in line as possible. Our goal is to make the Kansas State Fair the best experience that we possibly can.  

Most of the time our sellers work no more than eight hour shifts, though some do choose to work double shifts.  They sit in little buildings with windows. Of course some booths are nicer than others.  One really nice one has microphones and speakers so the attendees can hear the teller without any yelling through the glass, but most don't.   I worked in one booth to give breaks to a dear lady who worked on her own everyday at a less trafficked area.  This booth was sparse, but all have some form of air conditioning, thank goodness. 

Gate 7 at 8pm...it's so dark!!
I even sold tickets  on  Dillon's Dollar Day from an apron pocket.  If patrons needed regular adult tickets for ten dollars, then I would sell them some for cash to keep people from having to stand in line in the hot sun for a long time. I never envisioned myself "hawking tickets" before Monday, but let me tell you, I can do it!

Now, one of the very best parts of being a ticket sales worker...the people. I met so many kind people in the past ten days.  While selling in a booth I am able to see many people coming through the gates.  Good friends like my friend Shelly. 
 and coworkers like Jeanette who has been a close, dear friend for the past 30+ years.

Overall I was blessed to work alongside a group of individuals in the ticketing office that made every day worth getting up and going into work for another day. I think next year I should take all of our pictures on the first day and then on the last too! 



Part 2, 10 Days of the Kansas State Fair will cover fair food, activities and exhibits! 

#KansasStateFair  #HutchinsonKansas 

1 comment:

  1. You girls are crazy! But I love how much you enjoy the fair!

    ReplyDelete