Looking for a ghostly suspense for the upcoming spooky season? Look no further than a new novel to be published October 6, 2026 by the Berkley Publishing Group. Portrait of a Haunting by Madison Tyler Nelson is an exceptional read for those who love paranormal stories.
Tatum Alexander has grown up in the shadow of her mother's shocking past. Her mother, Amarina Alexander, an artist known as the "red hand". Amarina is famous for the violent murder of her boyfriend where she used his blood to paint the picture. She confessed and was imprisoned when Tatum was nine years old. What the world doesn't know is that Amarina and her daughter Tatum are also "watchers", those gifted with the sight of seeing and hearing the dead left as ghosts on earth. Amarina embraced her gift, but Tatum has hidden from her powers ever since her mother's crime, avoiding all the spirits that recognize her ability by observing her gray eyes.
When her best friend Mischa is killed in their New York apartment, she searches for answers from her friends, a coven of witches in Manhattan. With the aid of her friends and her mother she learns that the only way to live with her gifts is to embrace them to save herself and her friends from becoming the killer's next victims.
I'm not a huge fan of paranormal horror stories, but this one pulled me in from the very first page. Nelson does a superb job of creating characters that have depth and intrigue. I hurt when Tatum's friend dies. I feared for her safety as the plot built, and I was encouraged when she found her strength to overcome her trauma and become the woman she was meant to be all along.
I truly appreciated the pacing of the story. It moved! I have read many lately that felt like a slog to get through, even though the story and writing were good. Nelson's novel was not this way. I enjoyed every moment I sat down to read, and though I was satisfied with the ending, I could have kept going without becoming bored. That's high praise! I could easily see this book become a Halloween season movie. The characters and story are engaging and it would lend itself to film easily.
I rate Portrait of a Haunting with 5 stars. If you are looking for a bit of a thrill, pick up Portrait of a Haunting by Madison Tyler Nelson when it becomes available on October 6.
Thank you to NetGalley, Berkley Publishing Group and Madison Tyler Nelson for the Advanced Reader's Copy of Portrait of a Haunting, in exchange for this honest review.
#NetGalley #PortaitofaHaunting #MadisonTylerNelson #BerkleyPublishing #paranormalsuspense

No comments:
Post a Comment