About Me

My photo
I am a recently retired high school educator who is learning to spend time doing what I want to do. This is a new challenge in its own sense. It's like walking into a buffet and knowing you can eat all you want and not get full or gain any weight and for once you have absolutely no idea what you want. But I look forward to the journey of figuring it out.

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Ten important truths I've learned from AMC's: The Walking Dead ~ or my silly side unleashed...

     Those who know me are often surprised that I am a fan of the television series on AMC, The Walking Dead.  I'm not certain why.  Perhaps I don't strike many as a zombie enthusiast. I am, however, and have actually learned many things that make my life much more interesting having followed the series.  Allow me to share these revelations with you, dear reader.

     1. Life is a dangerous adventure: From the very beginning of the series we learn that something terrible has gone wrong in the world and existing each day is dangerous. Our ancestors knew this well as they eked out a home, livelihood and government in a new land. Disease, pestilence, and finding or growing enough food for survival was a constant struggle. Over time American society has become complacent  for the most part, not having to watch for dangers around every corner.  The Walking Dead (TWD)  is a reminder that life was at one time a struggle but we are  lucky that for the most part, it is not that way now. However,  it still bodes well to be aware of one's surroundings and watch for dangers, just in case.
   
     2. Trust must be earned:  The characters meet many people through the seasons of TWD and learn over time to be wary.  Even a good friend can turn against you, or your group (Way to go Shane).  Trust in a group is important for surviving.  Whether you are surviving the daily grind of a career or a hoard of zombies, relying on others is essential.

     3. Expiration dates are suggestions, not absolutes. This revelation is a constant struggle for me.  I see a date on a can or carton and think, well it's the day after the date, it must be rotten now.  Wrong! In a world where food is scarce, food is food.  If it isn't bulging, smelling bad, or looking spoiled, chances are it is just fine.  Cook it well and go ahead.  I watch the show and see the people scavenge for supplies and actually feel really fortunate to have such an abundance.  So, I now just keep tasting the milk in the the carton after the date and if it tastes fine, I assume it is and keep on drinking it instead of pouring it out.  (Take that little Miss Worrywart).


     4. When it seems too good to be true...Be it a credit card offer, a "free" trip or product, or a town named Terminus, it is definitely not a good thing to pursue.  Mark Twain's, "It's too good for true, honey, it's too good for true" (Huckleberry Finn, 1884) pretty much sums up the whole thing, all in one swell quote.  


     5. A woman can be domestic and still strong: Casseroles and cunning = Carol.
Carol is definitely my favorite character in TWD, I think because she is such a round and dynamic character.  Carol began the series as an abused, frightened, and oppressed wife and mother.  She watched her abusive husband die, her daughter was lost, turned into a walker, and then had to be destroyed, and instead of being destroyed herself in her grief she just becomes stronger. She is the definition of resilient.  I don't think she ever loses her fear, but she doesn't let it disable her.  I once heard a saying: "If you weren't afraid what would you do?" Be Carol, that's what I would do.  I think Carol has it all figured out, she can be the domestic that she once was, but she isn't afraid to be strong.  Go Carol!

     6. Chocolate pudding is just plain yummy and sometimes you just need to indulge yourself:  When all the world as you know it has been forever changed, and a big ole' virus has infected everyone so that following death one turns into a body eating monster, a little somethin' somethin' is in order. Ergo, chocolate pudding, or chocolate anything, cause chocolate is just plain yummy!


     7.  Teddy Roosevelt was right: "Speak softly but carry a big stick." Morgan understands this well. Morgan tries to save others, he has lost much, just as Carol has, but he still feels others who are damaged may be saved.  That's the speak softly part.  But sometimes "things" be it people or zombies just need to be taken care of, and a big stick comes in handy.  Not overly threatening, helps on long hikes, yet can be lethal when properly employed.   I tend to be a soft talker.  I don't make waves, more of a adaptable go with the flow sort of gal.  Maybe I need to get a big stick...hmmmm.


     8.  Be prepared: pretty self explanatory that one is. I try to be prepared. Other's I'm sure are more so, but I try.  I know that my sister is much more prepared than I am.  In my basement I have a stale box of Twinkies (in honor of Zombieland), a freezer with some items, and a little wine.  I need to add a radio and some water.  I would not be able to survive a zombie apocalypse for long, but a storm, perhaps.  Maybe I should carry a few more things downstairs.

     9.  Love others well and make each day count, it very well may be your last. I have lost several important people in my life, so TWD did not teach me this concept, but it certainly reinforced the idea home.  Life is precious, whether one is living among zombies or simply just living a life.  So for the love of pete, love well, love completely, and don't waste your time. (No, TWD is not a waste, it simply is an entertainment- thank you very much!)

    10.  Live your faith but don't hide behind it: Father Gabriel has been a wishy-washy character.  He is a priest but has hidden in his church, afraid to go into the new world of the walkers.  When others came into his realm he didn't want the violence, he couldn't deal with his fear.  He hid in his church and behind his faith, he didn't live his faith by going out and ministering to others in need.  This past week Father Gabriel manned up with his fear and his God! Go Gabe! He told his parishioners that they would be believers, but also defend their town.  So, What is the truth I gleaned from this? As a Christian I think sometimes it's easy to hide in the walls of the church, worship and believe but not grow as a Christian.  Taking the faith outside of the walls to serve and take risks is scary, but important for spiritual growth.

So there you go, I'm a fan of TWD, I enjoy all the little and large intricacies within the plot and characters of the series. I look past the walkers, and simply enjoy the show, and learn a little too!



No comments:

Post a Comment